.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Creative Process

This blog will follow the process of my current project: a series of three 5' x 9' figure paintings called "The Feast of Venus". I'll be posting the preliminary drawings and oil sketches as I complete them, and possibly add some commentary along the way. I have just begun this project and am working on the first painting in the series which has the working title "Stirring the Pot". All images on this blog are copyrighted and cannot be reproduced without permission.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

















I'm cheating a bit here: this post shows two days' work. The one on top is what I did today and the one on the bottom is yesterday's.

I had to quit early today. A friend of mine is in the hospital with a broken ankle and it took me two hours on the phone to straighten out what her home care will be when she gets out. Tomorrow will be more phoning and a trip to the hospital, which is 45 minutes away. I care very much for her; she needs me. There is no question in my mind but that I'll do whatever I have to do to help her as she is somewhat dependent on me at this point. But there is a big part of me that is in tears over the disruption of my work. It has always been that way for me: since I was thirteen (and I'm now forty-six) I just could not bear to let anything come between me and my time painting. Actually, I think it quite a sign of maturity (or am I just losing my edge?) that I am able now to sacrifice painting time for someone else.

It is a strange thing, but once you feel the irresistable compulsion to paint you feel like the whole universe is designed to stop you from doing so. More on this later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>