.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Creative Process

This blog will follow the process of my current project: a series of three 5' x 9' figure paintings called "The Feast of Venus". I'll be posting the preliminary drawings and oil sketches as I complete them, and possibly add some commentary along the way. I have just begun this project and am working on the first painting in the series which has the working title "Stirring the Pot". All images on this blog are copyrighted and cannot be reproduced without permission.

Friday, September 09, 2005



This is what I did today. Yesterday's work is lost: I made a mistake in photographing it and now I've painted over what I had. It is too bad because I am really enjoying watching the evolution of a painting now that I have this blog. It is the first time I have ever photographed each day's work and really looked at it and seen the changes. It is rather unnerving. I feel like I lose as much as I gain with each stroke of the brush: what I gain in clarity, I lose in mystery. But I know from past experience that to leave a painting in a sketchy state is ultimately unsatisfying too. Paintings that are too sketchy don't hold my interest very long; after they hang on the wall for a few years they stop looking fresh and inspired and just start looking thin and unfinished. Not unlike people who try to stretch free-wheeling youth into their fifties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>