.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Creative Process

This blog will follow the process of my current project: a series of three 5' x 9' figure paintings called "The Feast of Venus". I'll be posting the preliminary drawings and oil sketches as I complete them, and possibly add some commentary along the way. I have just begun this project and am working on the first painting in the series which has the working title "Stirring the Pot". All images on this blog are copyrighted and cannot be reproduced without permission.

Thursday, August 25, 2005


This is an unfinished study of one of the still lifes on the ground plane in the front of the painting. I bought a huge (and expensive) pile of vegetables and set up the still life on the floor of my studio. It was very weird to paint somthing so far below eye level. It's difficult to paint a still life with fresh produce. The beet greens, which looked incredibly exciting when I first set them up, wilted in about two minutes; I had to keep spraying water on the turnips to keep the color from fading and after about two days they started to sprout. It took me a week to do this much and by then everything but the broccoli and potatoes had wilted. I started teaching a landscape class, but kept the still life set up hoping I would get back to it. When even the broccoli turned yellow I took it down and marked where it had been with masking tape (still life R.I.P.) so I could try to set it up again later. I like what I have though: it has the right movement and flow and the turnips look like firm breasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>